Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Its the most wonderful time of the year!

Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. Ever since I can remember I have dressed up and gone trick or treating every single year. At 18 I was going with my friends, 19 I went with friends and their 9 year old sister. Then at 20 I had my son, how was only 3 months old, but I took him. At 28 years old I have NEVER missed trick or treating. This year I almost did though. My son didn't want to go because he got scared last year. So, I told him this year we would avoid the houses that scared him and go home as soon as he asked. We made it an hour before he was asking to go home.

My son had a Halloween party at school today and since they couldn't go in their costume I had to go to his school around noon to get him in his costume, do his hair, and his make up. I figured why not do my make up as well. The past 8 Halloweens I have gone as "mom" with some Halloween themed headband on. This year I went with full face paint and couldn't have been happier. It was my first time ever attempting to do what I did.



 The first kid that saw me when I was in the school office said I looked freaky. SCORE! I got to his class room early. The kids were still at recess but two other moms were already in the room setting up for the Halloween party. One of the moms acts like I don't exist, which is fine by me. I am a good 8 years younger than most of the moms. The other mom said she had to do a double take to figure out who I was. Score again! My glasses were the only thing that gave away who I was lol. As the kids started piling into the classroom I got an array of looks. Some were intrigued, some were scared, some were trying to figure out who I was, and others asked me if I was X's mom. I had one kid refuse to walk past me. Score! Finally my son walked in the room and I got  "Oh that is so cool mom!"

So while we were waiting for the 4th grade to finish in the bathroom with changing into their costumes we played a game with marshmallows. They had a marshmallow and a straw. Without using their hands they had to ploy the marshmallow to a plate about 6 feet away and get the marshmallow on the plate. There were some very competitive 3rd graders in that class room! Finally it was time to get changed into their costumes. Kids were grouping around me and my son as I was doing his hair and makeup. They were pretty impressed.



After everyone was dressed and ready to go it was time to line up for the parade. K-5th grade would walk from the school, to the fire station three blocks away, and back. You have never seen so many kids in costumes all in one place. There were some pretty awesome costumes in that crowd! My son decided not to follow on the parade so we waited in the classroom until they got back. Then it was snacks and crafts time! They made a bat, ate eyeballs, and had a contest to see who could name 16 different types of candy without touching them, smelling them, or tasting them. There was a little piece they got to look at to see if they could figure it out. My son came in third and got a Star Wars pens as his prize.



I loved the fact that out of all the parents that showed up for the parade and the class parties I was the only one that 'dressed up'. I was the coolest parent in that school. The teachers had themed costumes as well. From what I could tell the 2nd grade teachers were punk rockers, the 3rd grade teachers wore solid colors with a party hat on and a letter on their chest (not sure what they were) and the staff wore footie PJs.


After seeing me scare two more kids with my face paint my son finally decided that its ok to go trick or treating because Mommy will scare people away. It was so funny because they turned down the hall we were walking in and actually stopped in their tracks and started backing up while repeating "scarey, scarey, so scarey." I honestly did not think my makeup was scarey at all. Maybe it was a combination of the makeup and the wig. All I know is I had an amazing Halloween and can't wait until next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment