Monday, October 24, 2016

This sucks so bad!

How can I try to correct my high cholesterol.
Replace bad fats with good fats. Stay away from trans and saturated fats and eat more monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Not only are those good for my heart, but most other parts of my body as well. Not only should I reduce my fat intake overall, but I should also replace my bad with good such s olive oil, whole grains, flax seed, hemp seed, and chia seed.
Another thing I can do is increase my fiber intake by 5 to 10 grams per day. Doing this can lower my LDL by about 5%. Fiber can also improve my intestinal health, prevent heart disease and some cancers, reduce blood pressure, and aid in controlling my weight. Eat mre fruits, vegetables, whole-grain breads and cereals, nuts, and legumes. This will also raise my HDL.
Workout at least 30 minutes a day, which I have been doing when injuries permit. On the flip side, not working out regularly can raise my LDL. Being overweight can lower my HDL. So, best bet is to do my best to make sure I am getting my 30 minutes a day in.
This one sounds simple, unless you grew up eating mainly this type of food like I did. Cut out processed foods and foods high in sugar. Those types of food will increase triglycerides and cholesterol productions. If I can manage to cut those out then I will start to see that I am naturally craving organically sweet foods like fruit.
Lower caffeine and alcohol intake. I don’t drink alcohol, I think the last time I did was my birthday and then my birthday before that. I do have a problem with caffeine though. I used to drink nothing but pop all day long and some weeks I slip and have more pop than I know I should.
I need to reduce my stress, so it’s a good thing that I just opened a yoga and meditation group! Use what I teach for my own health! Try to get at least 10 minutes of meditation in a day.
Change my diet for the better, which I have been working on the past year, but slipped more times than I like. Eating a cup and a half of cooked oatmeal can at 6 grams of soluble fiber to my diet. Adding omega-3 fatty acids can reduce my risk of blood clots. Walnuts and almonds can reduce my blood cholesterol. Other foods that help lower cholesterol are kale, apples, garlic, dark chocolate, spinach, avocado, blueberries, tomatoes, flax seed, beans, and salmon.
There are supplements that I can take to lower my cholesterol without prescription meds. Vitamin B3 lowers LDL and increases HDL. You can get it as a prescription or a supplement, but the AHA cautions that you only use the prescription form because of the side effects. You should be under the supervision of a doctor. There is research out there that says that artichoke leaf extract can also help lower cholesterol by limiting the synthesis of it in the body. There are still longer trials with more people needed to greater understanding, but it is believed to increase bile production in the liver and the speed of the flow from the gallbladder, which can increase cholesterol excretion. Green tea, soy, and garlic can also help reduce the numbers naturally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment