Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Why am I single?

I had someone (well a few someones) ask my why I am single at 34 years old, and why I haven't been on a date in four years. If it was because I wasn't looking or if it was because it kept getting turned down.
Honestly, probably a mix of both, but more of me not looking.
In my late teens and 20's I was almost always talking to a guy, or in a relationship. None of them healthy. I put up with so much bullshit just to say I had a guy in my life. I was a verbal punching bag to pretty much every guy I talked to. Some even doled out emotional and financial abuse as well. My self esteem was at an all time low, so I didn't think I deserved anything better than what I was dealing with.
So, in my 30's I decided to focus on myself and not relationships.
If and when a relationship happens it happens.
It's not like I don't want one, I do, but it's not at the top of my list. It also helps that I am too big of a damn chicken to let a guy know that I like them, lol. If I don't tell them then they can't reject me. I've had my eye on someone for a few months now, but they would never know it because that is how I chose to have it. They have their life together, I don't, so I'm not saying anything.
I've also found that being a 34 year old with a 14 year old, who is still working on finding confidence isn't exactly a turn on for guys.
My last relationship was when I was 29, we dated for seven weeks and I broke up with him four days after I turned 30.
I almost went out on a date a few months ago, but that guy was only looking for sex and didn't like the fact that he wasn't going to get that from me. Didn't keep him from trying to talk me into it though. And boy oh boy did he try.
After, essentially, bowing down to every guy I was ever with I decided I am never doing that again. I am never caving. I am never lowering my standards. I am never again listening to "come on, don't you miss it?"
Sticking to my guns has helped weed out the guys I used to settle for when I was in my 20s, that is for sure.
I know, when the time is right, that right guy will enter my life, and things will click. Until then, I am going to continue to build my confidence, get back into doing the things I enjoyed doing before I had my kid, and just go where life takes me.
If I never meet anyone, then so be it. I don't even have my life together as much as I would like it to be and I am choosing not to bring anyone else into that.
When people ask me why I am single I just simply tell them "Because I am."
I choose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment