Friday, July 19, 2013

Can money seriously start growing from trees?!

With my sons 9th birthday creeping around the corner it has gotten me thinking about college. I am in college now and am no where near being finished. I am already so far in debt with just student loans it isn't even funny. So I decided I wanted to save money for my sons college fees.

When he was born I always said I wanted to be able to put everything his dad gave for child support into a college fund, but that hasn't been possible so far. Then I got to thinking, with a little help from my mom (yes I will give you partial credit for this), why not take $10 from each weekly payment and put it into my sons savings account? Then when I get a refund check from my school or taxes take a couple hundred and stick it in there as well.

So far, all is well and good. There is a little pocket change in there. So I decided to look up estimated college tuition in the year 2022, when my son should be starting college. That scared the shit out of me!
I would need to be able to put $500 a month into a saving account for my son just to insure that college can even have a possibility of being paid for! I don't have $500 a month to live off of, let alone save up! So I am on the verge of pulling my hair out right now.
Then there are scholarships. Well, sports is inevitably left out because my son is not athletic at all. Unless I can get him into swimming (which takes money) then there might be some hope with that one. My child is a freaking fish and loves to swim.
Minority scholarships are left out too, I don't think they consider being a direct descendant to a Hatfield a minority. They should, but they probably don't lol.
My son is obviously not a woman so that one can't work either.
Unusual scholarships should be left in the running though. I mean they did give a scholarship to a girl just for having the best duct tape prom dress. My son is very unusual as well.
The only ones that might have a major running for my son are community service scholarships or academic scholarships. He got all As and Bs in 3rd grade, maybe if he can get all As for the next 8 years he can try for academic scholarships. He has done community service before, but not much, we can always try and build up on that one.



All in all, I know college isn't cheap. I am living through how not cheap it is right now! But maybe I can insure that he has enough money for college that he won't have to take out loans. My college fund only had $5 in it. I have 8 years left to save up everything I can. Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment