Thursday, April 4, 2013

Don't Doubt the Mommy!

Today was the first day in a long time that Boger has let me read to him. He is not big on reading or being read to. He hates most books I try to read to him. He also refuses to suggest books to read or let me suggest any for him. So I was quite happy when he let me read to him for 30 minutes before he went to bed.

For months I have been trying to get him to read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I read all the books a few months back and went out of my way to tell him how cool the books were and how much better than the movie the first one was. He refused to believe me or give me a chance to read some of it to him.

However, today when we saw his social worker I mentioned that a few weeks ago he started having a hard time letting me leave the room when he was going to sleep. He will grab onto me and refuse to let go while basically pleading me to stay in the room with him. I would love to, but I can't get school work done when he is awake and do it after I get him in bed. So his social worker suggested that 30 minutes before bedtime he curl up on the couch with me while I read to him and surprisingly Booger agreed.

I don't have any books for him since he sold them all at the book store so I grabbed The Lightening Thief and sat down on the couch. Booger was not happy when he saw the book, but I told him that was all I had and tomorrow we can go to the library and find some that he will be interested in. So Booger curls up next to me and just sits back while I start reading.

I finish the first chapter and close the book to get Booger in the room and in bed. He BEGGED me to read the next chapter. Puppy dog eyes and pouting. He just HAD to find out what happened next. So I read the second chapter. More puppy dog eyes and more pouting. I told him I would read two chapters tomorrow night and after a few more minutes of puppy dog eyes he said the book was interested and better than he thought it would be and he couldn't wait until tomorrow night to find out what happened next.

So this is what I have to say to Booger:
Dear child,

When Mommy reads a book and says you will like it you must believe me. For MONTHS you have been saying that Percy Jackson and the Olympians is so stupid and you didn't even like The Lightening Thief movie. So why would you want to read the book? For MONTHS I have been telling you the books are freaking awesome.

Today we talk to your social worker and he gets you to promise to try reading with me for 30 minutes before bedtime to help you fall asleep. I had no other books for your age except those so I chose to read it to you. You were not happy about that.

I finish chapter one, you beg me to read chapter two. I read chapter two you beg me to read chapter three. I tell you I will read it tomorrow and you get mad because, and I quote, "I like being able to hear you read it and picture it in my head! I want to know what happens!"

Mommy-1 Booger-0

Believe me when I say you will like the damned book and just save face next time!!!

BOO YA!!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment