Monday, April 22, 2013

I am slowly loosing my sanity

I love my sons sister like she was my own daughter and for a while there I was her stepmother. My son is the oldest of six kids. He has 3 younger sisters and a younger brother by his dad and a younger sister by me. Out of all of them he only gets to see his oldest younger sister. When my sons dad comes over every other Saturday to see him he will bring his oldest daughter with him. I love having his sister over here. She is a trip, just like my son, and my son really loves spending time with his sister. Every other Saturday is the only time my son gets to be the big brother he really is and he is a great big brother. Three weeks ago while at the park someone called his sister weird so my son replied with, "She is my sister so if she is weird then I am weird too." Truth be told, they are both weird, but that is why I love them. There is no denying that they are brother and sister when they are around each other.
For years my son has been practically begging me to have another child so he can have a sibling that lives with him. He has said that he wants to protect them and teach them things. Which I find amazing. I would love to have another child, but I have to finish college first and find someone that I will spend the rest of my life with. Someone who will be an amazing father to not only our child together but as a role model for my son as well. This day and age, that is hard to find. Anyways, back to the point of the blog:
Every other Saturday I question whether or not I really, really, really want a 2nd kid. Those are the days that my son and his sister are together in the house. Its great watching them be brother and sister, but they are both nuts when they are together lol. 
This past Saturday they couldn't agree on what to play with or what to do so my ex-husband and I took them to Half Priced books. Before we even got out the door my sons sister was saying she was hungry so her dad heated up a hotdog that I got for my son that he didn't eat and I said I was going to stop and get my son something to eat. So we get to McDonalds to get my son something and his sister, while shoving the hotdog in her mouth, is saying that she is still hungry, so her dad got her something as well. My sons sister finished her entire meal and then eats what my son didn't want to finish.
We get to the book store and they were ALL OVER the place. Then my sons sister proceeded to make me feel so damn old. In the car I told her that if her mom had an VCR I would buy her a VHS because they are only $0.50. I then spent 20 minutes trying to explain a VCR and VHS. Then she found the vinyls so I am explaining those to her. Then we were walking around looking for my ex-husband, who was in the bathroom, and my sons sister found books with the Beatles on the cover. She asked who "those guys" were and I *facepalmed* and told her they were the Beatles. She quickly replied with "Um, yeah, ok." Then she didn't want the tape she picked out anymore, she wanted a Barbie and my ex-husband told her no. So then my sons sister walks up to me and gives me the puppy dog eyes trying to get me to buy it for her and I said no. She looked at me like I was evil and walked away huffing and puffing. My son was just walking around following his sister driving her nuts by copying everything she was doing. I used to do that to my younger brother, what is more fun that irritating them by doing exactly what they are doing?
Then we stopped at Starbucks after we left the book store because my ex-husband just had to have his coffee and my sons sister saw cake pops but my ex-husband said no. My sons sister walks up to me, puts her arms around my waist, gives me a squeeze, looks at me with puppy dog eyes and says "I really want the pink thing." I reminded her that her dad said no so she went "UGGH!" and walked away lol. Both my son and his sister had to touch everything in the store regardless of how many times myself or my ex-husband told them to stop touching things. My ex-husband and I manage to get them to sit down while we wait for our drinks, which was a challenge all in its own. My son got a hot chocolate and didn't like it so his sister, who swore she hated hot chocolate, downed the entire thing. I bought them a biscotti to share and said if one of them didn't like it then the other one got the whole thing. My sons sister then continued to ask my son if he liked it or not so she could have all of it. After about five minutes we get the kids back in the car and head back home and my son and his sister were playing together in the back seat being normal brother and sister. But then my ex-husband tells me that he is hungry and to stop at McDonalds AGAIN to get him something to eat. My sons sister chimes in from the backseat that she is hungry again. *facesteeringwheel*
I love my sons sister and love having her here while she and my ex-husband spend time with my son. It also makes me happy that her mom doesn't mind my sons sister spending time here every other Saturday (might help that we have known each other since 6th grade). My son loves having his dad and sister here. But I seriously question how badly I want a second child. Then I remember. If, IF, I have a second kid they will not be 10mo about, they will most likely be 10yr apart, and that I can handle.

My son and his sister playing outside. Don't let this fool you, they were arguing over what to do, stay there or go to the park
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they had an amazing time together. Don't you just hate when kids make you feel old as dirt
    www.mommysrambles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it sucks lol. 3 years ago I worked with a 17 year old and I mentioned Bette Midler. She had no idea who that was and it took 20 minutes of naming songs and movies for her to go "Oh yeah! I know her!" and the movie that finally clicked with her was Hocus Pocus *facedesk*

      Delete