Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I have one damn handsome child!

When I was younger I always wanted glasses because my parents wore glasses. I also wanted to be able to wear glasses just like Sally Jessy Raphael. At the ripe age of 7 I enjoyed watching her show and always wanted those huge, red, plastic framed, glasses. I thought they were the epitome of cool. I mean seriously, what is more cool than gigantic, red, glasses?
I ended up needing glasses when I was around 7 or 8. I couldn't see things on the board at school or what I was supposed to be doing in art or gym class. So my obvious first pair of glasses was red frames just like SJR. I wore them proudly and held my head so high. My next pair was red frames with confetti in them. I also got the matching blue pair. It wasn't until I got older that I really started hating, despising to be more correct, having to wear glasses. I couldn't wait until I could get contacts.

When I got pregnant with my son I prayed that needing glasses would skip over him. My entire family wore glasses and my ex-husbands family wears glasses, or really needs them, as well. Even though I never wanted my son to have to wear glasses I tried to make it seem like glasses were pretty cool, just in case he ended up needing them. Around the age of 5 he started begging me to buy him glasses so he could wear glasses like everyone else. I always thought that was pretty adorable, he would even get mad when I said no.
Then a few weeks ago I started to notice that he was blinking more than he used to. Not just the normal blinking, but the trying to get your eyes to focus blinking. So, when I went to order my contacts from my eye doctor I scheduled my son an appointment of his own. I was still praying that it was just allergies and not him needing glasses. Today at his appointment I was informed that my son needed glasses. Not that he needed to wear them every day, but at least while he was at school to help him see the board. My son was so excited to find out he needed glasses. He had been asking for years and he finally got what he wanted. I must say, my son looks damn handsome in glasses! It's just going to take a bit of getting used to seeing him with glasses on.
Ignore the weird lady in the background :)



No comments:

Post a Comment