Saturday, May 19, 2012

Gay Rights Rally Dayton Ohio 2012


Today I had the most amazing day. I went to my very first Rally in support of Gay Rights. I met some amazing people and heard amazing speeches. I was not sure what to expect before I got there so I was imagining a million different things that could happen on the way up there. My best friend and I went together to meet up with another friend of ours. Alisha and Robb have been in my life longer than anyone else. I have known Robb for 20 years. I feel so old just saying that. He came out to me around 6 years ago. I was the last of his family and friends he had left to tell and at first I was really hurt that I was the last to find out. Then talking to him he told me it was because my opinion matter the most to him. I have always loved this guy as a friend and a brother. He is amazing.



Robb, Me, Alisha


I went to this rally in support of all of my LGBT friends. Robb, Jenna, Jakey, Adam, Stephen, and Azalea. I made even more friends in the community in the past month. I have started an ally page on facebook: GLBT&STR8 and have gotten to know people on MarriageEvolved on facebook as well.





I heard amazing speakers today. Jennifer Tyrrell is a mother who was playing an important role in scouting for her little boy. She was having a blast with it, then one day she gets a call that she was getting kicked out because she was a lesbian. Joshua Alan Snyder-Hill and his husband want to change their last name, but because their D.C. wedding means nothing to the State of Ohio they are being put through to ringer just to be told no in the end. Now does any of this sound fair? Hell no it doesn't! We are in the 21st century and we are still dealing with prejudice? We are still dealing with hate towards those who are different? I plan to use my voice towards the change.



Joshua speaking



One of the other speakers I have to quote him "I am sweating like Lindsay Lohan in a court room"
Not only did I hear amazing speakers I also got to witness seven same sex weddings. It was such a beautiful moment. One guy almost freaked out because he couldn't find he ring in his pocket. One couple I saw were staring so intensely into each others arms your could feel how powerful their love was through the entire crowd. I could not be more happy to be an ally to the LGBT community and I am going to share the pictures from this morning and some of the videos I can find. Also, go to www.change.com/scouts to sign the petition for Jennifer Tyrrell!


The seven weddings






No comments:

Post a Comment