Thursday, May 17, 2012

It is the time for Change


The other day after voicing my support for the LGBT community I got a lot of harsh words said towards me. I was told that I was upsetting God by going against what he wanted and that I was a bad Christian. My words to them were that God wants us to love unconditionally and not judge. I am doing exactly what God wants me to do. 


I have strong opinions about a few things but I do not usually voice my opinion on it unless it is brought up in a conversation. Yet I could not just sit back and be quiet about this anymore. I have to many friends in the LGBT community and am making more. All I can think about it how unfair it is that they do not get to experience marriage the way I would. I recently found a list (2 years old) of rights that are denied to homosexual couples. I am going to share this list below. 


Here are some of the legal rights that married couples have and gays and lesbians are denied: 

  1. Joint parental rights of children
  2. Joint adoption
  3. Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions
  4. Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
  5. Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
  6. Crime victims recovery benefits
  7. Domestic violence protection orders
  8. Judicial protections and immunity
  9. Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
  10. Public safety officers death benefits
  11. Spousal veterans benefits
  12. Social Security
  13. Medicare
  14. Joint filing of tax returns
  15. Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
  16. Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
  17. Child support
  18. Joint Insurance Plans
  19. Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
  20. Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
  21. Estate and gift tax benefits
  22. Welfare and public assistance
  23. Joint housing for elderly
  24. Credit protection
  25. Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans
Even in the states that do allow same-sex marriages, most of the benefits of marriage do not apply, because the Defense of Marriage Act states that the federal government only recognizes marriage as "a legal union of one man and one woman as husband and wife".

Would someone like to explain to me how this is fair? Thank the Lord that President Obama has come out to express his voice on same sex marriage and is talking about repealing the Defense of Marriage Act. Even if the state allows same sex marriages it is not recognized at a federal level. After Obama spoke out there have been several celebrities to voice as well along with those that already did. Here is a small list of those celebrities:



Heidi Montag
Miley Cyrus
Britney Spears
Perez Hilton
Natalie Portman
Pete Wentz
Renee Zellweger
Ricki Lake
Robert DeNiro
Ang Lee
Anne Hathaway
Ben Affleck
Brittany Snow
Carmen Electra
Carson Kressley
Cyndi Lauper
Debra Messing
Dustin Lance Black
George Michael
Gillian Anderson
Hilary Duff
Hillary Clinton
Jake Gyllenhaal
Jamie Cullum
Jason Stuart
Jennifer Aniston
Jorja Fox
Katherine Heigl
Matt Lucas
Megan Mullally
Miss Coco Peru
Neil Patrick Harris
Pete Doherty
Pink
Queen Latifah
Quincy Jones
Rosario Dawson
Roseanne Barr
Rosie O'Donnell
Daniel Radcliffe
Ellen Degeneres
lily allen
angelina jolie
drew barrymore
elton john
Quincy Jones
Pauley Perrette
Brad Pitt
Alicia Silverstone
Meghan McCain
Kathy Griffin
Rose McGowan
Charlize Theron
Wanda Sykes
Robin Williams
Christopher Meloni
Rosie O'Donell
Adam Lambert
Katy Perry
Lily Akken
Jay Z
Tyra Banks
Ryan Seacrest
Alec bladwin
Lady Gaga
Russell Simmons
Kim Kardashian
Nicki Minaj
Al Sharpton

I Just wish that more people can see how this change needs to happen and how much it would mean to everyone. I pray that same sex marriage equality happens in this decade and I want you guys to pray with me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment