Saturday, January 28, 2012

The dentist tried to kill me :)

Thursday was the day, the day that my tooth was going to be yanked from my mouth and never to be a part of me ever again.

I woke up feeling pretty good as I was getting my son ready for school. Once I dropped him off that changed, I was a nervous wreck. I just kept thinking of what happened last time they tried to pull my tooth and I did not want to feel like that ever again! I stared down the bottle that contained one little Diazepam pill. The pill that was supposed to make me feel better about seeing the dentist. I wasn't allowed to take the pill until 9:30am and it was sitting there on my desk taunting me. At the same time I wasn't sure I wanted to take it, I wanted to call my mom and tell her to not pick me up because I decided not to go to the dentist. I watched the clock slowly go from 8am to 9:30am, that hour and a half felt like forever. The longer it felt like it was taking the more I was starting to panic about the dentist.  My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, and I felt light headed.

9:30am finally showed up and the Diazepam went down the hatch. I want sure how long it was going to take before I could feel the effects or if it was even going to make a difference at all. 9:40 rolled around and I was still nervous as shit and thought I just wasted my time taking this damned pill.9:50 gets here and I have to pee so I walk to the bathroom. Out of curiosity I look in the mirror to see what my pupils looked like. They were really tiny and that made me giggle. So I shaded my eyes and the pupils got bigger. So for 5 minutes I played a game I called "they big, they little" while laughing my ass off.
My mom finally shows up and gets me to the dentist. I am sitting in the waiting room trying not to doze of. I am staring at the wall in front of me with the most blank look on my face. After about 10 minutes they call me back and I look at my mom and go "Goodbye Mother" and walk on back. Apparently the way I said it was funny because the nurse looked at my mom asking if I was ok. So my mom decided to tell the entire waiting room that I was on Valium.

I get back there and in the chair and so far so good. I let the assistant know that I have sleep apnea and can not fall asleep. I was doing a fairly good job at keeping myself awake. I found a very interesting spot on the wall and seemed to stare at it for 15 minutes. The assistant was nice and kept checking on me while we were waiting on the dentist to come in. I heard the assistant tell the dentist I cant fall asleep and the dentist said "I cant keep her from falling asleep." Then when the assistant said "we just need to wake her up if she does." The dentist said "Oh, I can wake her up but I cant stop the girl from falling asleep." For some reason, that was very funny to me and I had to keep myself from laughing.  So the dentist puts that gel stuff on the inside of my cheek and gums to numb me up for the needle. That was the part that freaked me out the most thanks to the week before. I felt the needle go in, thank God it didn't hurt too bad, but when she pulled the needle out I very calmly went "Oooww.." and the nurse found that funny because she laughed and said that she had never heard someone say ow as calmly and nonchalantly as I had.

Nothing exciting happened until time to yank this broken bitch of a tooth from my mouth. Apparently it was in there pretty damned good too because all I saw was my dentist double fisting the fucking pliers and a lot of wrinkles on her forehead. I also heard her telling the assistant that my tooth was wedged in there pretty well. Just my luck. She was pushing, pulling, yanking, and twisting those fucking pliers while grunting under her breath. My jaw felt like it was going to be snapped lose. My cheeks were killing me and it took all my strength to keep my mouth open. As soon as she took the pliers out to try something else I closed my mouth and the assistant started massaging my cheeks for me. I never thought having my cheeks rubbed would feel like heaven but oh Lord did it. It was short lived though, we had to continue the process. Within what felt like hours (only 10-20 minutes) there was a nice bloody clump of something coming out of my mouth. She still wasn't done though! Since the tooth was broken prior to getting pulled she had to pull out the broken part. I remember different tools moving around my mouth. Then I felt the sharpest, bone piercing sting. The dentist moved the tool for a second, tried again, and I felt the same pain. The dentist said she didn't know why that spot was not numb but everything else was. This was the same spot that kept the tooth from being pulled the week before. I am still all Diazepamed up so it hurts but I am doing very well at keeping calm and relaxing my body (would have been so much worse without the drugs) so I was handling this very unwanted pain pretty well. Then the dentist said........ "don't panic" DIAZEPAM GONE NOW! I managed to squeak out the words ok. I felt the pain and she kept saying "almost, almost, almost" then I felt no pain and saw the tools leaving my mouth. Oh. Thank. God! The last piece of tooth was out!!

Thank God this whole experience was over. I walked out with a wad of gauze shoved in the back of my mouth trying not to talk and I was home free. It has been a few days since this happened and I am surprised at how little pain I am in. My jaw aches when I eat and I am terrified of getting food anywhere near where I had the extraction, but I am pretty much pain free. The weirdest feeling was before the stitch started to dissolved I could feel it on the inside of my cheek when I talked. I get to go through all this a few more times though with root canals in the upcoming weeks and then in May when I get my wisdom teeth cut out though. But now I know I can survive this!

No comments:

Post a Comment