Thursday, January 19, 2012

My first and only thing in print

I wrote the following poem in the 6th grade for a contest at school. I never turned it in because I thought it was straight crap. So my mom, being a normal mom, took it to the school the day it was due. She was, thank God, two hours later, but to my surprise, the woman in charge of the contest gave her an address of a publishing place for young authors. She told my mom that if I had turned in the poem I would have won first place through the whole school. So my mom mailed my poem in, and a few months later my poem shows up in a book with other poems from kids aged 4-14. It took me 30 seconds to write this poem and I still think it is crap, but everyone else seems to love it. So I am going to share it with you!


“Wouldn’t it be Great”
Wouldn’t it be if you could fly
Fly across the sky
Or maybe even become a dragon
And keep your tail a waggin’
Wouldn’t it be great if you could live
Live to be one hundred
Or even be a writer
And tell the world of your dreams
Wouldn’t it be great if you didn’t have to wait in live
Just for a concert ticket
Wouldn’t it be great if…….
Oh! Wouldn’t it just be great??
(Written in 6th grade)

No comments:

Post a Comment