Saturday, July 7, 2012

Delivery from Hell

When I was 19 I had gotten pregnant, but the relationship with my sons father did not last. I did not really expect it to. But 10 short months later, 4 months and 15 days after I turned 20 I gave birth to my little boy. He is my pride and joy! He was born July 29th @10:17pm. My dad kept trying to get me to wait until after Midnight before I had my son. Why you ask? During the year I have the first birthday, then my dad, then my brother, then my mom. While I was working on my calender in High School I discovered that whatever day of the week my birthday was, every ones birthday was the same day of the week. If I had waited until July 30th to have my son then he would have followed suit. But my son and God had other plans!

I was due July 25th and couldn't be happier when my due date showed up. Then it passed and I was still pregnant. I thought I was going to explode! However, I had gone into labor that night. I called my doctor and asked her what I should do (I lived with my parents and they were trying to help, but I wanted to hear from my OBGYN) and she said when they get about 5 minutes apart to call her. So exactly 5 minutes later I called her again. From the get-go I had STRONG contractions every 5 minutes. She told me just to wait it out until the contractions lasted longer than 90 seconds, which they did and I told her that. So she told me to try to get some sleep and to call her in the morning if my water had not broke by then. July 26th my parents took me to the hospital, I was check and told I was only 1/2cm dilated and was sent home. My contraction continued to be 90seconds long and 5minutes apart. They kept getting stronger and stronger. I was in PAIN! July 27th I went BACK to the hospital, was checked, was only 1cm, and was sent home. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! July 28th, hospital, checked, 1 1/2cm, home. Oh. My. Gaa! July 29th at around 9am my mom called the DR this time. She told the DR that I had not been able to sleep since the 25th (every time I tried I had a contraction) and that I was in immense pain. While my mom is talking I am laying on the couch in the middle of a contraction, screaming, cursing, having a panic attack, and threatening to murder everyone in the hospital if they did not get me in there! They told my mom to bring me in and they would admit me and go from there.


So I get to the hospital around 11am and they give me an epidural to stop the pain, I was still threatening murder and having panic attacks. The epidural was A GOD SEND! By the time they said it was in and to lay down I was already numb! I had to have my dad and brother help me get back in the bed. After a few hours of only being dilated to 3cm they decided to break my water to speed up the labor. They broke my water around 5pm. I kept getting check, slowly dilating, and getting checked. My dad still kept joking about me keeping my legs shut until 12:01am. Sorry dad, not happening. Just before 10pm the DR comes in to check me and the look on his face scared me. He got very serious and turned to the nurse. He said "prep the room now she needs to get in there." I was only 5cm and my son was trying to crown already. The DR felt his head in the opening of the canal trying to come through a 5cm hole. My son was already crowning and I was only half way there!


They gave me more epidural, all they could do at this point, and wheeled me to the operating room. I was terrified. My mom went with me and my dad and brother stayed in the room. The DR waited a minute to ensure I was numb and he pinched me with something and asked if I could feel it. I said yes, so he waited about 90 seconds and pinched me again. I of course felt that and thought he was an idiot for not knowing I could. I had no idea I was not supposed to be able to feel that. My DR looked at me, looked at my mom, looked at his nurses, and back at me. Then he said "I'm sorry" and put the scalpel to my stomach and cut.


All I felt was the most agonizing, burning, intense, horrible, deadly pain I have ever felt in my life. I screamed at the top of my lungs and kept begging him to make it stop. He just kept saying "I am sorry." I had no clue what was going on. I looked at my mom with so much fear and pain in my eyes. She is my mom, she is supposed to protect me, yet she keeps telling me its going to be ok, its almost over, just breath. Then I look at my hand. My entire arm is shaking so hard that the support it is on is bouncing. My chest was getting tight, I had snow ball sized tears streaming down my face, the nurse kept saying its going to be ok. I heard the nurse telling my mom that she cannot give me any more morphine or it could seriously hurt me. It felt like an eternity!


My son had gotten stuck in the birth canal and the DR was having a hard time getting him lose. I did not go numb until they started sewing me up and I swear the only reason I went numb was because my body was in shock. I was having tremors so bad my DR told my mom to not let me hold him. He is only 5 months old and I cannot hold him. My mom had to hold him and let me touch him that way. My DR said I could not hold my brand new baby boy until I stopped having tremors, which was 5 1/2 hours later. Later my dad told me that he could hear me screaming and it took everything he had not to burst in there to kill my DR for making me scream that way. To give an idea of how loud I was screaming. I was three doors down the hall, in the operating area, with 6 walls between my dad and me.


All that pain disappeared as soon as I got to hold my beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed, 8lb 9oz, 20 1/2in, bundle of joy! I had the delivery from hell, but it was worth it. Now 8 years later I am so happy I went through that.


My son at 3months old

No comments:

Post a Comment