Monday, July 16, 2012

Having a kid is great, but I really miss myself!

I have known since I was a little girl that I wanted to be a mom. I wanted three kids, in a specific order, a boy, then girl, then a little boy. I am an older sister to my brother and I always wondered what it would be like to have an older brother also. So I wanted what I wanted. The older brother would be there to guide and protect his little sister. He would keep the asshat boys away that she wanted to date, so I wouldn't have to do it. Since, of course, she would also get picked on by the older brother she should have a little one to pick on like I did. Dress him up in dresses, practice make-up and nail polish on him, and teach him how to love and respect girls. 

I had babysat since I was 9, I loved kids. I couldn't get enough of their cuteness and how fun it was to be stupid with them. This feeling has changed a lot over the years, yet when I got pregnant for the first time I just knew it was going to be a little boy. I had wanted a little boy first for so long, it just had to happen, and I got my little boy first. I was excited about having my son and knew I wanted to raise him to be the best kid he could be, and the best man he could be. Yet, the older he got, the more things I began to learn about being a mom.


1. You will never get a full nights rest again. This pretty much starts during pregnancy, but continues after the child is born. Yes, everyone know when they are babies you will never feel like you are rested, even after going to sleep. It continues, however, past the baby and toddler years. My Booger is 8 and I never get a full nights rest. He wakes up at the ass crack of dawn, and I sure as shit better wake up no matter how tired I am. If I even try to get a little extra shut eye he will walk in the room every three minutes "Mommy"..."Mommy"..."MOMMY!"


2. If they know something annoys you they will never stop doing it.  My son has this habit of hissing and growling, and it annoys me to no end. That one toy that makes you want to stab your ears with an ice-pick, that is the only one they want to play with. That one sound that makes you want to run for the hills, you will hear it all day. 


3. Adult contact after having children is GOLDEN! Before having kids you were able to have a social life and go out with your friends, boyfriend, or husband whenever you wanted to. Your friends didn't mind hanging at your house or just going somewhere to talk and enjoy each others company. After having a kid you are home more than you used to be or you always have a kid with you. Going out with a bunch of kids, or one in my case, is a feat all in itself. Your friends that don't have kids would rather hang out with those that also have no kids yet. When you get one on the phone, or they decided to come over,it is the most precious thing in the world. 100% your child will try to steal you attention more than ever. 


4. The shows you used to enjoy are best viewed at nap time and bedtime. You had shows that you used to love watching during the day or later in the day? Having DVR or Tivo will be your best friend with kids around.   The second you attempt to watch the show with kids awake the louder and more in your face your children will ever be. They will insist on watching some mind numbingly stupid cartoon, and it is always the same one over and over and over and over and OMG!


5. Your appearance will no longer matter. If you were one of those people that would spend hours getting ready just to leave the house for an hour, because God forbid someone saw you with unkempt hair or mismatched clothing, then you are in for a rude awakening. You will no longer care if there is a stain on your shirt or if you hair stays in a permanent mess in a ponytail every day. Putting make-up on with kids around? "Mommy, what are you doing?" "Mommy why are you drawing on your face?" "Mommy that looks fun! DO ME NEXT!"


No matter how much I feel like I have completely lost myself since having a kid I wouldn't trade it for the world. Yes, there are days that I miss being able to watch what I want when I want, and actually being able to spend time on myself, my son is my world. Making sure he is happy is more important that making sure that I do not look like I am just awakening for an 8 year hibernation. I would gladly go through it all again.


No comments:

Post a Comment