Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Shelter life for me



          After leaving my Aunts we started in on the Domestic Violence Life. We were at the first shelter, yes I said first, for 2 or 3 weeks. I ended up getting kicked out over not emptying the dishwasher on time. They had this notebook where you could tell them when you were going to be gone so they did not schedule you a ‘chore’ at that time. However, they decided to ignore the fact that I was gone most of the time for work and school. So I got wrote up for not doing chores. My mom and son got kicked out about 2 weeks later over pretty much the same thing.
          After leaving the first shelter I ended up spending 2 ½ weeks on the couch of a friend from Church. I was only supposed to stay with her for 2 days since she was moving, but she opened her heart to me for longer than originally planned. So to help play her back I helped her with the move, unpacking, and giving her someone to talk to while she went through the stressed of the empty nest and moving from a house to an apartment. I could not have been more grateful to her for letting me stay with her. It meant so much to me! But after 2 ½ weeks with her it got to be too much and she had asked me to find someone else to stay.
          I ended up finding the second shelter through the advocates at the hospital. My mom had taken me to the hospital because I was sick and told them my situation, my mom and son had already found a new shelter, and the advocates helped me find the next shelter I was to stay at.
          I was nervous about going to a new shelter but I knew I needed somewhere to stay. I just didn’t want to go alone. I wanted to stay with my mom and son. This shelter ended up being amazing and I loved staying there. They had a counselor for me to talk to, they had group therapy for all of us women that were there, and they helped us look for jobs. About a week after being there I get a panicked call from my mom. Her and my son had gotten kicked out of their shelter because she gave my son a cough drop. She was not able to find a new shelter and she was in the parking lot of Jack in the Box at 10pm. So my shelter helped me call CPS to make sure it was ok that my son moved into my shelter with me, since my mom had custody of him still. CPS said it was fine and I was able to move my son into the shelter I was in. I was beginning to love who I was, I could see how beautiful I was, and I was becoming a stronger mother and woman. I was so proud of the advancements in myself while I was there. But, that was about to end soon.
          About 2 ½ months after being there I got called into the office to talk to the director. Someone had found me at the shelter and threatened my life. Great. So for safety reasons my son and I had to find a new shelter to go to for out safety. I couldn’t believe I was going to have to leave this place before my time was up. I had met so many great people and had grown so much. So I called my mom in a panic and told her what was going on. She told me there was room at her shelter and told me they were expecting my call. So I called them and thank God they were able to get me and my son in there the next morning!
          So, onward to the third shelter for me, and the fourth for my son. They welcomed us with open arms, my mom was there, and I was scared but happy to be back with my mom. The shelter was helping me find somewhere more permanent to live with my son, they were helping me figure out how to get custody back, they were also helping Elijah as much as they could with his issues. But our time was coming to an end there quickly and I had no idea where I was going to go. That is when my dad told me to figure out how to get home and to live with him. I could not have been happier! I was finally getting to move back home and be where I felt the most comfortable! My son and I moved back to our home state 2 days after my 27th birthday. One of the best birthday presents I have ever gotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment