Monday, March 28, 2016

Long car ride and crowded places!

I forgot to post this yesterday, so I am going to post it now.
Sunday night my son spent the night at my moms place and then after me and my dad picked him up Monday morning we decided to extend the drive by 100 miles and head to the Children's Museum of Indianapolis.
It was a long car ride, the drivers of Indianapolis are worse than the drivers of Cincinnati, and the museum was crowded as all get out.
While I had fun there, with what I actually got to see, my son really wasn't feeling it and my dad was in pain by the time we left.
I learned something about myself though.
None of these places I take my son ever really live up to my expectation for how I thought the trip was going to go, or how the place was going to be if it was a new place for us to visit.
As a child I loved going to museums, parks, and zoos. I loved it. I was always able to find something I had missed the time before or I knew exactly what I wanted to see and everything else was just a build up of awesome things until I got to what I really wanted to see.
With my son, not so much.
He knows what he wants to see and he doesn't want to look at ANYTHING except what he wants to see. So, if you are trying to look at something that he isn't interested in for longer than 5-10 seconds then he is going to let you know just how damn bored he is.
It is annoying as all hell.
But, I have learned to go with the flow and get him to chill out for a minute.
Let mommy see some of the things that she likes as we work our way to what it is he wants to see, since we will be there for a while, if it lives up to his expectations.
It works, for the most part.
What doesn't help is when the website, that you have you son look at before you head out there, makes it look like there is a lot of things he would be interested in, and then you get there and 90% of everything is geared for kids under the age of 8.
He did enjoy the aliens and androids exhibit, and I had a few nerd moments there myself.
But, what I learned for the entire thing is, even when it isn't going how you had planned it to go, still find ways to have fun. Enjoy the little things.
While your child may want NOTHING to do with the Terra Cotta Warriors or Dinosaurs just wait until you see the smile on their face when they get to try and work a robotic arm!



No comments:

Post a Comment