Thursday, March 24, 2016

Take your truancy and suck a big one!

This one is a hard one.
No damn clue how I am going to find the positive today..
I mean, I could stretch it, twist it, flip it, run it over with a car, and MAYBE figure out how to find the positive with what happened today. But, that is my challenge. I usually don't do challenges or dares, because I hate them and think they are asinine. However, knowing why Robb is making me do this is the only reason I agreed to it.
So, here we go.. My shitty horrible negative for the day...
Today was fine in the morning. I got my workout done, even though my shins hurt, and I got my Easter shopping for my son done, since I remembered 10 minutes before I bought anything that I still had to buy it all.
Then I came home and checked the mail.
And I saw a letter from the county with the word "delinquent" stamped on it.
At first I was about to ignore it, because I don't deal with the county when it comes to juvenile courts because my kids stuff is in a different county. I opened the envelope and at first I wasn't sure what the hell I was reading and then it hit me, hard, in the face, like a drunk bitch that thinks you are talking to her man.
I was reported for truancy and being summoned to court.
My child had apparently "missed" 26.5 days of school.
However, the way the school works with tardies is "every 3 tardies counts as 1 unexcused absence." So, with that logic, if he is late to school by 2 minutes, three times, he "misses an entire day of school" when in all actuality he only missed a total of 6 minutes between those three days.
They are claiming that my son has missed TWENTY AND A HALF days of school because he has been tardy.
26.5 days equals, roughly, 143.5 hours.
Only counting the mornings that he has been late he has missed 14.16 hours in roughly seven months of school +/- vacation times.
This is not counting the 3 days that he missed the entire day, but I didn't take him to the DR so there was no DR note. Those 3 day I have no problem with. He had no note to excuse him so yeah, sure.
This also does not count the 6 or 7 times that THE SCHOOL called me in the middle of the day telling me that my son needed to go home, but then still marked it as unexcused.
Um, no.
BYE, FELICIA!!
You told me to come get him.
You, THE SCHOOL, told me to get him!
What gets me... 25 of these "tardies" are 5 minutes or less... Seriously? Of those 3 of them make it to the 5 minute mark, the rest are 2 or 3 minutes.
So, now the fun part.
Turning this clusterfuck of a negative into a positive.
And, after talking to my dad about it I think I was able to......After a few hours of getting really pissed off every time I thought about it.....
I have been on the fence about homeschooling my son all school year. Not only that, we are planning on moving and I have been struggling with the idea of leaving this school district. I didn't want to because up until 5th grade the teachers were AMAZING with my son and helping him with his struggles.
This year, middle school, not so much.
I mean, he does still have teachers that work with him, but a lot of the time he gets the "figure it out yourself" attitude from them, whether they mean it like that or not.
That doesn't work well with my kid.
He shuts down and gives up.
Now, after this letter, and the school waiting until there is only NINE weeks left in the school year I have pretty much decided I want OUT of this district and will be doing more research into homeschooling.
So, in a way this helped me settle some internal struggles with what I want to do when it comes to the move and next school year.
I no longer want anything to do with this school district once this current school year is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment