Tuesday, December 26, 2017

31 Day Blog Challenge: Day 26

Did you notice that I skipped Day 25?
I skipped it because it was Christmas.

Well, today I am supposed to share an old photo of me.
In this photo I have a horrible perm.
HORRIBLE!
I begged my mom for it too.
I was about 10, 5th grade, and it was pre-braces.
You can tell in the photo why I needed braces, lol.
When I was 18 months old I fell face first on the sidewalk, split a tooth in half, all the way up the gums, and needed my tooth surgically pulled. I didn't have a front tooth until I was in 2nd grade and smacked my face on the playground at school. I split my gums open right where the missing tooth should have been.
In the picture you can see how my tooth grew in.
As a kid I never really cared what people thought about my tooth, and how f*cked up it was.
I didn't even care about how ganky my braces looked until my teeth were straightened out.
But, now, as an adult, I am very self conscious about my teeth.
I had braces for 5 1/2 years, and refused to wear my retainer for more than two weeks. All because it gave me a lisp.
I was 17 and in high school. What 17 year old girl wants to talk with a lisp?
My teeth moved, quite a bit, over the years.
I wish I had worn my retainer the way I was supposed to.
I wish I was as confident as I was as a kid, before all the negativity said to me took hold.
I miss the happy, carefree, child that I was in this photo.
I danced to the beat of my own steel drum before puberty took full affect.

No comments:

Post a Comment